My girls are pretty funny!!!
Today we had a "teach-able moment" with Lydia. We have been reading a first grade basal reader this summer for reading practice. We were on the 4th basal, which would have been a book a first grade class would read in December or January sometime. She was doing really well.
She has some maps in the play room & she was asking questions about the maps. I remember that in that 4th basal, I had seen a story called "Me on the Map" (which I remember from teaching at Bryant). I said, "I have the perfect story we can read!" She was excited, but really didn't want to read it herself, but she did read most of it. She did a pretty good job!
After she read it, I told her "That was a first grade story that they don't read until after Christmas time & you are reading it now!" She laughed & hugged me & I told her she should be proud of herself.
I started reading the comprehension questions at the end of the story. The first questions was "What have you learned by reading this story?" Lydia answered, " I learned I can read better than I thought I could!" I laughed so hard!! That is SO true!!!