Saturday, March 8, 2008

Storm Anxiety

Well, it is that time of year again...the time of the year that I spend a lot of time watching the weather and worrying about storms. That's right, it's Spring time in Oklahoma, which means tornado time!!!

I HATE tornados!! From March to the end of May, I should just live in the storm shelter!! Yes, I MADE Scott build me a storm shelter when I was pregnant with Lydia. It's like a little short coffin, but I would rather be in there, then anywhere else.

I watch the weather very closely in the spring. I watch all three weathermen, I check the internet, and I worry. If we are predicted to have storms one day, I worry about it for days in advance.
If we are in a tornado watch, I have to watch the "regular" channels that day, and I have to repeat to myself "If you are in a tornado watch, that doesn't mean that EVERY town in the watch will have a tornado!" I'm so freaked out, I won't eat or leave the house!
If a storm is headed our way, I go prepare the storm shelter. I turn on the light, I get the battery operated radio ready, the flashlights ready. Then I "stock" the shelter with ALL my scrapbooks and DVD's of the family memories! Scott jokes about not having enough room in the shelter for ALL the scrapbooks & us!

Last Sunday, we had some tornados. They were west of us for a while, but I could tell they were moving our way, so I was prepared! At about 7:45pm, the tornado sirens started going off and they said it was a tornado warning for Oklahoma county. I FREAKED out!! I started yelling at Scott to get the girls and go to the shelter!! Scott said NO, he was going to watch the weather and see where it was & to stop freaking out! Even Lydia said "Dad, shouldn't we go to the shelter?" I said, "No, your dad wants an invitation from the tornado to go to the shelter!" The tornado was straight south of us about 20 miles and was moving east. We didn't go to the shelter, but I would have!!

After all the chaos calmed down, I thought "Katy, you are not relying on God in the spring time!"

In Matthew 8:23-27 is the story about Jesus and his disciples on the boat and a furious storm came up, washing waves over the boat. Jesus was sleeping and the disciples woke Him. They were afraid! Jesus said to them."You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" and he rebuked the winds and it was completely calm.

God has the power to stop tornados if He wanted to. I don't know that He would stop a tornado from coming to my house if I prayed before it hit, (I'm not saying He can't! He can do ANYTHING!) but I do know that God would protect me and my family.

Please pray for my sanity in the Spring time and that I will rely on God to protect the things that are most important: my family!

" I know the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me."
Psalm 16:8