Every year since Scott & I met, we have gone to the Liberty fest parade and sit in the same place by the BSU.
Scott and I got together on July 4th 1998, so we have been together for 10 years! He proposed to me July 4th 1999.
We love going to the parade in Edmond, but there is a time that I miss the fourth of July of my childhood.
When I was a child, up until I was in college...well, maybe high school, we got up early & went to Pawnee. In the morning, they had a parade. After the parade, there were games to play & EVERYONE played!! There was the egg toss, three legged race, sack races, boot toss, backseat driver game.
But the most fun was the turtle races!! I swear, my cousins would stop on the side of the road weeks ahead of time to pick a turtle!! They would train the thing to run!! They always got extra turtles for Tori and me.
They put ALL the turtles who was registered in the middle of a big circle. (You usually marked your turtle so you knew which one was yours.) Then which turtle made it to the eadge of the circle first, won.
After the games, we would go back to Grandma & Grandpa's house and eat lunch. When the kids would ride bikes and swim all afternoon long. We would always ask when the fireworks were. Sometimes those afternoons seemed so long!!
Soon we would take baths, put on clean clothes, eat a little dinner and head back into downtown Pawnee.
There was street band singing and dancing in the streets & a carnival with a famous Ferris Wheel. We HAD to ride it!!
Then about dark-thirty, they would shoot off a warning firework to let you know they were getting ready to start. Everyine would gather on the court house lawn & watch. Sometimes it seemed like there was 10 minutes between each firework. But you knew when it was over because they would shoot off 8 to 10 fireworks together.
Everyone would clap & head home.
I loved the feel of the small town fourth of July!!
Anyone want to help me organize a turtle race for next year?:)
Scott and I got together on July 4th 1998, so we have been together for 10 years! He proposed to me July 4th 1999.
We love going to the parade in Edmond, but there is a time that I miss the fourth of July of my childhood.
When I was a child, up until I was in college...well, maybe high school, we got up early & went to Pawnee. In the morning, they had a parade. After the parade, there were games to play & EVERYONE played!! There was the egg toss, three legged race, sack races, boot toss, backseat driver game.
But the most fun was the turtle races!! I swear, my cousins would stop on the side of the road weeks ahead of time to pick a turtle!! They would train the thing to run!! They always got extra turtles for Tori and me.
They put ALL the turtles who was registered in the middle of a big circle. (You usually marked your turtle so you knew which one was yours.) Then which turtle made it to the eadge of the circle first, won.
After the games, we would go back to Grandma & Grandpa's house and eat lunch. When the kids would ride bikes and swim all afternoon long. We would always ask when the fireworks were. Sometimes those afternoons seemed so long!!
Soon we would take baths, put on clean clothes, eat a little dinner and head back into downtown Pawnee.
There was street band singing and dancing in the streets & a carnival with a famous Ferris Wheel. We HAD to ride it!!
Then about dark-thirty, they would shoot off a warning firework to let you know they were getting ready to start. Everyine would gather on the court house lawn & watch. Sometimes it seemed like there was 10 minutes between each firework. But you knew when it was over because they would shoot off 8 to 10 fireworks together.
Everyone would clap & head home.
I loved the feel of the small town fourth of July!!
Anyone want to help me organize a turtle race for next year?:)
"Blessed is the Nation whose God is the Lord." Psalm 33:12