Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tough Decisions

I never thought that the decision about where to send your child to kindergarten was going to be so tough!!

Right now, Lydia is going to a small private Pre-K. We LOVE it!! But they don't have a Kindergarten program.
There are two "parent choice" schools in Edmond where you apply for a lottery. They only have 2 teachers per grade level compared to the other school which have 4, 5 or 6 teachers per grade level. Needless to say, we didn't get a spot & were 81st & 84th on the waiting lists...so never mind!!

After looking at our nieghborhood school's test scores, Scott was not impressed. Not to mention Orvis Risener was an ALL day kindergarten program with 5 teachers, at 22-26 students each...TOO MANY KIDS & TOO LONG OF A DAY!!
So we put in for a transfer to Chisholm Elem. which is just down the street as well.

We started "jumping the gun" & looking at houses in the Chisholm area. We found one that was AMAZING!!! Almost 2100 square feet, LARGE bedrooms, LARGE master bathroom & walkin closet, beautiful backyard with an amazing patio & SO MUCH STORAGE (in the living room, hallway, bedrooms...)!!! I was in LOVE with this house!! It was priced at $170,000.
Here were the "hang-ups":
1. Not much privacy in the backyard....I guess Scott plans on mowing the yard in his underwear..
2. Since we have ZERO credit score, (because that's what happens when you don't have any debt!) we couldn't get a loan!!
3. After DOZENS of phone calls, we had SO many people helping us, it was so sweet...people calling "their people", the realtor calling bankers they knew, we were finally able to find someone who thought they could finance us!!

BUT after running the numbers, Scott decided that it was more house & price than we could chew. He didn't feel comfortable with the money left over that the end of the month....We could buy that house, but we couldn't eat!!!

I was REALLY disappointed!!! I really thought that the house was something that we could afford. If I'd KNOWN that the house was out of our price range, we would have never gone to look at it! I felt like it was within reach, but apparently not.


I guess we will go out & finance some furniture so we can have a credit score so in three or so years, we won't have so much trouble!!